Saturday, December 22, 2007

Movie Review - I am legion (legend)

Like the biblical passage here is a man who is "legion". Will Smith aka the Tan Charlton Heston. I know it seems impossible that a film written before the strike could be a remake!

You share my surprise of course!

But this film is in fact the "Omega Man" redux. There are distinctive differences of course. In the original there was one white star and two black stars. In the current version there is one black star and one spanglish star and one white sub-star.

The other difference is that in the remake Will makes a pitch for racial equality and Love. Charlton is too self absorbed to do this, -I presume.

Beyond the above mentioned points upon which the plot turns they are substantively the same film.

Will has said that he looked around for what pays in Hollywood and found that it was action with special effects. Once discovered he has set about staring in as many as is possible. And so, here he is a Light Colonel in the Army who sports a Dobby Gillis moustache and small beard who finds himself to be the only known man to survive a disease gone wild and also finds that he is immune to this disease (but his dog is not [see hair falling out sequence for proof of this]) leaving him time to work on the cure to be administered to the Undead (yes the Undead) if he can get them to sit still long enough once he discovers the cure which he is having a very hard time doing and if he does not forget his bleach (must see film to understand this clever hideout trick).

Will shows his big muscles and Checker Cab door ears to no small effect. Three quarters of the way through the movie (After the zombies are introduced) the female shows up. She has been driving around somewhere but now she is headed to up state where she believes a community of normal people exist and she knows this because she senses it or saw it in a vision of sorts. Will knows everyone but the Zombies is dead and so he does not believe her, -of course!

Many of you never saw Omega Man or Soylent Green, so I do not want to spoil the ending of this straight to video film. I will tell you no more. (Saw this in digital format at theater. Nice!)

If you are not at the edge of your seats by now then wait for the video.
PS. I like Will Smith pretty much but he is well on the road sterotypicalland. One character wearing different clothes in movies with different names. TELL ME I AM WRONG.

2 comments:

Maximum Colossus said...

I think there's a place for mind-numbing action movies and Will Smith is a likeable enough star. And I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but aside from the fact it sometimes makes me feel old, I kind of get jazzed to see updates of old sci-fi and adventure movies. I barely remember the Omega Man it's been so long since I've seen it, so I'll probably check this out.

If it wasn't your cup of tea, maybe you should check out that film about the hilarity of teenage pregnancy, Juno. I hear it was a Sundance favorite.

Unknown said...

I am waiting for video. I think I have seen enough zombie movies lately