Tuesday, July 03, 2007

No Comment From Me

I thought I'd share with you a thread going down on one of the message boards where I work. Be aware that this whole conversation sprouted from someone's e-mail warning everyone that the cops in the beach areas would be enforcing a zero tolerance policy versus lawbreakers tomorrow. I've edited out names and put comments in order.

------
Shouldn't there always be 0 tolerance for breaking the law? Well, other than Scooter Libby of course.
------
Scooter did not skate because he did not receive a pardon. A $250,000 fine for not having a perfect memory indicates a zero lack of tolerance to me. Given my memory I'd be 10's of millions in debt at that rate. I'd trade for a drunk in public fine any day.
------
What was Scooter guilty of?What identity did the president vow to discover?
------
FYI: one count of obstruction of justice, one count of making false statements to federal investigators, two counts of perjury in his testimony before a grand jury
------
When we talk about the fact that “our” children today do not take responsibility for their actions, and never have a problem in disavowing doing something – maybe we should be looking at the morality with leadership. That is the trickle down theory in action.

Once again, different set of rules for those in power and those not. Why don’t people get that? Where is the outrage at that?

And yes, Scooter was found guilty. Whether you agree with the original indictment or not, for those of you who don’t get that, it is the rule of law. You can always appeal. Stop this bull about him not being guilty.

For my 2cents - If most people decided to not uphold the law we won’t have a society, end of discussion. You don’t need to look to far in our world today to see what we could be like without rules and laws. Democracy is very fragile. 51% makes it happen. If you are in the minority, you may not like it but at least you have to deal with it. But to say what was he guilty of?

Having worked in the defense community, what I don’t get is why people don’t understand that one of our CIA agents names was released to the public. If anybody else had done that we would be in jail, full stop. This is beyond me. But heck, what do I know. I guess if the ends deserves the means, then it is ok to do anything.

Whew, I feel better now.
------
I am totally with you on this, Ray. I grew up in Mclean, home of the CIA, and just about everyone worked there. When I was growing up, outing an CIA agent would have been an extremely serious offense, maybe even treason. You could not disclose that your father worked at the CIA. My own father-in-law was a spy and put his life at risk many times. My father worked for Naval Intelligence, but he never told us and I never found out until I was grown up.

Bush has bought the White House to a new low, no doubt.
------
Not to disagree with the sentiments you express, but to clarify something (which, I think, actually makes your point stronger)…

Our form of government is not a democracy, but a constitutional republic. The basis is not the will/whim of the people but (ostensibly) the rule of law based on the Constitution.
------
Don't know if the word below was spelled this way on purpose but if it was, I LOVE the thought! Bought or brought, he has done both.
------


That's all for now, just thought it might interest some. This is pretty much anything you put on our message boards. Selling your car. They can tie that to the war in Iraq. In fact it's easy since your car probably runs on gasoline.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

From cops to Scooter Libby. Pretty intense. Interesting that so many know his name and his case. I can't wait for the hollywood movie.

Unknown said...

P.S. I would say more, but I think the case is now dead and I am glad we can move on.