Thursday, April 28, 2011

Unpopular Stance

So, I came across this in an article about things that customers do that airline employees hate [Waah!]:

Get Off the Phone
This is a common complaint in most retail industries, but it bears repeating here: It's rude to talk on the phone while interacting with the person behind the counter. And when you're at the airport checking your bags, it slows things down for everyone, says Mary Ann DeVita Goddard, a former customer service representative for Continental Airlines.
"Passengers would walk up, stand in front of you, continue their conversation, and expect you to know where they were going and how many bags they were checking," she recounts.
Respect the people behind the counter enough to put your phone away when you're speaking with them. And if not for their sake, do it for the people behind you who are delayed by your chatty ways.


Okay, so I know this isn't likely to go over well, but as far as I'm concerned customer service workers who complain about this can go and get fucked. Do you have the right to expect to be engaged? Sure. But guess what? You are getting a paycheck to deal with the inconvenience when it doesn't work out that way, and I-the guy on the phone-am the one whose business pays for your wage. You are not doing me a favor. You are doing your job. As a paying customer, I reserve the right to tell you to go to Hell.

Now, I firmly believe that common courtesy dictates that you engage the person you're doing the transaction with, but you can't force people to be polite. Especially in the travel industry, where most workers are total fuckheads anyway. And by that I mean, I've never had anybody in the travel industry go out of their way to make me happy, but I've had several who went out of their way to make me miserable.

No comments: