Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Why Is The Left Called Left, And Why Is The Right Called Right?

I've wondered this before, and came up with my own half-assed conclusion and questions. Is it due to the House of Commons in England? Is it due to the fact that being on the right hand of a king is held in higher esteem than being on his left? Is it because left handedness has historically been seen as evil? Is it due to the religious term Left Hand Path and Right Hand Path?

Maybe its a bit of each?

I believe the latin root for left is the word Sinister. In Italian, the word for left is Sinistra.

In my world view (of course people will differ with me), this all makes sense. The Right in the US tend to hold up God and Country, things which are wholesome. Now of course we are human, and mistakes are made. The Right is held accountable more so than the Left for things seen as hypocritical. So be it.

The Left tend to seek different or new paths. They don't seem to realize that no idea is new, and its all been done and shown as incorrect before, but I digress. In my view of things, these paths tend towards things which are dangerous or immoral.

Yep, I understand that terms like "dangerous" and "immoral" are relative, but I don't believe in too much relativism.

Anyway, just something I've always wondered.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hmmmm interesting.

Unknown said...

p.s. Baphomet kicks ass.