Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Holmes vs. Cooney

Here is something that ZombieTime brought to my attention and it reminds me of an old memory I would like to share with you. And it goes somthing like this, but remember, it was long time ago and some of the details are a bit fuzzy so I looked it up on wikipedia for the little tidbits.

When I was a kid, there was a fight between Larry Holmes and Gerry Cooney. It was a much anticipated fight. Larry Holmes was big time champion who was known for his fight with Mohammed Ali, while Gerry Cooney had beaten some notables such as Ken Norton, but was this the reason for all the Hub-bub? Well not exactly. You see Holmes was black and Cooney was the Great White Hope. At least, that is how I see it anyway. When I was kid, I too wanted Cooney (trust me: this is a very normal reaction) to win and actually paid attention to a sport I could care less about. Well this is how it went down, sum-up. They fought and fought, Cooney got some good shots in, but Holmes knocked him down hard with 2 rounds to go and Cooney's coach threw in the towel. Cooney's face was bloodied. It was a heart breaker and I remember saying "Cooney could have beat him, he went 13 rounds." and the obvious comeback was "Well so did Holmes."

Get it Dummies?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry for the sloppy writing. I had to burn this one out.

Maximum Colossus said...

Sooooo...Busby won?

BVM said...

Yeah, I'm confused.

The GOP won in the SD race. I don't understand the boxing tie in.

Were you trying to make some comparison between libs rooting on a Dem they knew would lose? Therefore, its in the fact that they didn't lose by that much that makes them happy?

Unknown said...

Like I said, I was in a rush to write it so I didn't really do a good job filling in the gaps. I guess I am the dummy. If you read the paper on this, it reports that the Dems feel like they won a moral victory and are happy that they almost won. But they didn't win. They lost...again. They can try to chalk this up into the Moral victory column, but lets face it. With a corrupt Republican congressman stepping down, a horrible San Diego Republican Mayor stepping aside, the momentum was in the Dems favor and they still lost. Why? Because people trust the Republican philosophy more. That is why I think both houses are going to remain red and the Dems will still be looking for the Great Blue Hope.

BVM said...

NOW I understand what you were trying to say. :-)