Wednesday, August 15, 2007

I Say To California: "Let's Lead The Way"

Anytime SF proposes some new legislation that they term revolutionary or progressive they make a press release that states something like "We're doing it as an example to the rest of the country in hopes that other cities follow our lead."

Well here's one that the Dems certainly don't want to lead the way in, although I see is as perfectly fair. In California right now there is a movement to equally divide up the electoral votes during the presidential election, by district. California currently has a "winner takes all" electoral vote process. Whatever party gets a majority vote gets ALL of California's electoral district votes.

Read more:

Liberally slanted CNN take.
More rounded ABC take.

I think this movement is a great idea. I want to find out how to sign that petition.

Case in point, during the last election process Arnold got all but 3 counties votes. Of the 58 CA counties only SF, LA, and Santa Cruz did not vote for him. What a surprise.

This quote is golden (and others like it): "This is very fair if it's universal around the country," Sragow said. "It is patently absurd it if only takes place in certain states."

No, its not absurd Mr. Sragow. Someone has to lead the way, and I say let it be California, after all its like a motto around here.

3 comments:

Megan said...

First off, I agree that this is a state issue. California, technically, is not required to give all of its EC votes to the "majority winner" anyway. It has just evolved that way. Since my right to vote stance is not nearly as "open-minded" as everyone elses (appparently), I've always felt like the EC should play a larger impact. Unfortunately, the majority of Americans feel that the presidency should be decided on majority vote. In that sense, a case can be made for the fairness of it all. I say the whole needs to be redone from scratch so all of this doesn't really make any difference to me.

Unknown said...

The Dems have a right to be afraid. They would have to take people out of the cities a little more seriously if this were ever to pass. It is a good chance they would develop a skin if they ever had to drive to those parts of the state.

Unknown said...

I certainly don't see it happening though. This is a threat that I have heard before. Republicans want to share EC votes while Dems want to scrap the EC and just use majority rule. This is the happy medium. I suppose.