Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Considering Recent Blogust Battles

It seems only fitting to post this.

I have said in the past that I find those insane radio shows that announce "1 out of 150 children will be diagnosed with autism" are just as crazy as the dyslexia scare in the 80's and the ADD, ADHD in the 90's. It is insesnsitive and inappropriate to poke fun at a child who has a disability like Savage is accused of doing, but I think it is even worse to misdiagnose a child with autism and then have them sent to a school for children with special needs rather than to a "regular" school.

I do believe there is an autism scare going on amongst parents these days and I also believe, like with dyslexia and ADD, it will be replaced with a new scare in the 2010's.

By the way, when you go to the link, read some of the comments. I think you might enjoy the debate.

3 comments:

Maximum Colossus said...

Michael Savage is an extreeeeemist. While I believe there to be more than a kernel of truth to what he is impluing, he underminds the whole issue with screaming hyperbole.

In my opinion people like Savage, Limbaugh and Coulter only care about making money by preaching to the choir, while offering no reasonable information to those who may be looking for real answers.

Maximum Colossus said...

I will add this one thing, though. I find it funny that the parents here claim that Savage is attacking innocent children, unable to verbalize their protest. Umm, Savage never puts anything on the children, but rather doctors and parents who, being unable to handle the grind of child rearing, provide or search for respectively, an answer other than the obvious. That the nature of children is to sometimes be difficult.

Unknown said...

I would be curious to know which gender is most likely to be considered 'autistic'
any guesses?