Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Bush Effigy = Good Obama Effigy = Bad

My co-worker's daughter goes to this school and so I am a little interested in this story.
Though I think it is stupid to erect effigies, not to mention an effigy of Obama hanging from a tree (considering the whole Jena 6 fiasco), I also think that the amount of attention paid to this is a little shocking.... No wait, what am I talking about? It isn't at all shocking.
These 4 students are going to be in trouble for awhile and even after all the facts get sorted out, the only words people will remember from this will be: Obama, tree, hang, christian school. Oh, and maybe the words "scholarship and leadership program for minority and low-income student" will be remembered too.

Anywho, enjoy this picture from Oregon Live.

George Fox university freshman Annie Catandella (left) hugs Thalia Delgado, a freshman Act Six scholar, in a show of support Wednesday at George Fox University in Newberg

p.s. dedicated to JallieCo. Hope your school isn't tarnished by this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Blogust.

If this were a W. effigy on Reed College, the act would be heralded as a beautiful example of free speech in America; but seeing as how Christians are self-righteous, violence-hungry a**holes, and Obama is the promised Messiah sent to save the U.S. from her sins, I’m not surprised by all the fuss.

Look, I’m not condoning by any means, but these were just some moron kids with a cardboard cutout and too much time on their hands. I don’t think it was a racial slam. I also feel immediate long-term suspension is too harsh a punishment. But George Fox, being the a**hole Christians they are, is gonna bend over backwards to assure those watching that this incident is NOT what they’re all about. However, don’t expect the media to pay them any heed…

As a believer and GFU alum, this whole thing makes me really sad. It’s just another distraction from the person of Jesus Christ, and who He is and what He stands for. To me, that’s a much bigger deal than some bad college PR.

--Jallie Co