Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Faith? Not Quite.

I'm not much of a religious zealot. In fact, I couldn't really say I fully subscribe to any one order of religious guidelines, but I hate to see a smug jerk like this take a shot at religion based on such a ridiculous argument.

First off, I've never been to Pittsburgh, but no one I know who has ever mentioned that it was was overrun-nay, infested- with such intense Christian warriors. It seems this poor man is accosted on an alarming basis with the threat of conversion. Thankfully, he is able to deter all but the most rabid practitioners with his oh so indisputable "philosophical counterpoints."

My favorite part of the piece is where he compares what these three little pricks did to putting church leaflets on your car or someone asking you if they can pray for you. Annoying? Sure. The same? Not so much. Try comparing it to walking into the policemen's ball and shouting, "Pigs suck!" That might be a little closer. It's called inciting a crowd, and I sincerely doubt these kids were trying to convert anybody. Just piss them off.

Honestly, overbearing religious zealotry bothers me as well. I feel that the people that stand outside soldiers' funerals with signs saying "God hates fags!" should probably be charged with stalking and harassment as well. But if someone wants to pray for me, I say have at it. It can't hurt.

4 comments:

CJ said...

Oh but maybe it can hurt...

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/31/health/31pray.html?ex=1301461200&en=4acf338be4900000&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

Maximum Colossus said...

I think that studies like that are done in an entirely mean spirit. Most people who are not religious will tell you that they don't put much, if any, stock in prayer as a healing tool. A large portion of the scientific community tends to fall into that category. If science were to find an actual correlation between prayer and healing, I have no doubt the people involved would labor towards finding a more "plausible" explanation. Ultimately, it just saddens me that people actually pay to study this sort of garbage. All in all, the only point of a study like that is to show religious people that they are wrong. And foolish. To destroy hope. And I don't see anything wrong with hope.

Evolution, on the other hand. Don't get me started.

BVM said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
BVM said...

First, about the guy who wrote the article and the Stalinists, I mean Satanists.

The author has every right to report the evangelist to the police. He chose not to do so, he just complains instead. The evangelist was rude and off base if he considers himself to be a Christian. It is not a Christian's job to convert. A Christian's job is to be the best witness he or she can. Obviously, this evangelist messed that up.

The Satanists were violating the law. Someone complained, and the rule of law was invoked. I see nothing wrong with that. The evangelist was probably also breaking the same laws to some extent, and like I said, the author could have reported the evangelist.

Freedom of religion is a staple of this country. That means if you live here, you have to hear people talk about it whether you want to or not. People are free to pray in public, whether anyone likes it or not. A Satanic worship service or a Christian worship service (along with flyers, etc.) are totally allowed in this country as long as laws are not broken.

One also has the right to complain about the worship or the flyers. But those acts are totally legal. So all you can do is complain.

Along the lines of prayerful healing. The people who did the study, and it seems some of the people doing the praying, don't understand what prayer is for. It is not about haggling with God.

Prayer is about submitting your will to God's. Speaking as a Christian, I know that when I pray I'll surely ask for things I hope for. God wants your prayers to be specific. But like I said, prayer is about saying what is on your mind, and then submitting it to God. The end results are in His hands. You may get what you asked for, you may not. But what matters most has happened, you conversed with God, and then you move forward in faith.