Wednesday, April 05, 2006

What Would The Thought Police Say? Or The Dream Police, For That Matter? What A Great Song.

Is it just me, or does anyone else out there worry just a bit when someone uses the term Big Brother in a positive light? I truly believe that this article tells a good story, but I don't believe that these cameras are exactly true to the spirit of Big Brother as we know it. Maybe another term would relay the story in a more positive light. On the flipside, does this count as one of the baby steps, like traffic and freeway cameras, to unlimited surveilance? Maybe Big Brother is more apt than I thought. Quite the quandary, but I would say that if the people called for this type of protection through technology, then it doesn't fall under the umbrella of government intrusion.

5 comments:

Sj said...

I agree with your point on the usage of the moniker "Big Brother."

Using it at all in a postive light is like trying to say Nazi-ism should return. You better start talking fast to back that up! (weird comparison or apt?)

Maximum Colossus said...

Pretty close to right on, I'd say.

Unknown said...

Actually, it would sound more like this. France was humiliated and defeated thanks to Nazism. That would be using it in a positive light.

BVM said...

Hmmm.

After reading Freakanomics, I don't believe the fact that the cops and their spy cameras are what did the complete job.

Arvin Leroux said...

They could probably prevent some crime with fake cameras too.

Then they could call it something like Big Step-Brother.