Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Duh.

I'm going to go with the researchers over the idiot college sophomore on this one. How do you combat the growing narcissism in the United States? The solution doesn't exist in our society anymore. Authoritative parenting? What's that? Try telling you neighbors you practice authoritative parenting and see how quick CPS shows up at your door. Spankings are considered beatings these days. And who has time to watch their kid sit in the corner for five minutes? And what does that really teach a child anyway. Parents today are told that they must shield their children from pain and consequence. I love to sound politically incorrect so I'm just going to ahead and blame the single mothers and deabeat dads of America. Mothers tend to want to protect their precious angels and without dad around to say, "I got hit in the head with a dodgeball lots of times. It's no big deal. Go rub some dirt on it, Junior!," I see little hope. Of course, another problem is that the only dads that seem to be sticking around are the ones who who were getting hit in the head a little too much, so now they're out to spare everyone's children the humiliation of learning that they are uncoordinated spazzes. And another thing, children aren't learning to lose graciously anymore. Or lose at all for that matter. Little League games end in ties no matter what these days. Retarded. Too bad the rest of the world doesn't play as fair. We're all going to learn the hard way.

5 comments:

BVM said...

Hell, the kids interviewed are still only Sophmores, so they still think they are the shit cause they went to college and some of their peers are in JC.

Do they really end ball games in "ties"??? That is just so ridiculous!

Humility is as important, if not more important, than a self image that turns you into an asshole.

Unknown said...

I am going to geek out and quote Worf. "If winning is not important then why keep score?" As for me, I cancelled my Myspace account because I was sick of worrying about what others were doing. That is also a problem of today, being part of a trend. Or has that always been a problem?

CJ said...

The trends are just worse than ever now. You must become part of the movement, and when the movement has passed, you morph into whatever the new movement is. For a while now it's been rampant promiscuity which I wholeheartedly endorse. If you don't have an internet sex tape you are a complete nobody...

Funny how all of the new candidates we interviewed for our 'trainee' position wanted $70+ thousand to start. They were college educated sure, but there is this new thing floating around. I call it:

The Entitlement Factor.

Entitlement to everything. It's a product of the coddling and image building all the pusssy parents subscribe to. Fuck them, I'm going to pay kids to beat up those kids.

And, in little league now, everyone gets a turn to bat. Then you switch sides. That's an inning. I believe they play 5. Everyone wins. Fucking pussy parents.

Why is winning such a bad thing? And why is losing/disappointment such a bad thing to learn. Fucking pussy parents.

Unknown said...

"Funny how all of the new candidates we interviewed for our 'trainee' position wanted $70+ thousand to start. They were college educated sure, but there is this new thing floating around. I call it:

The Entitlement Factor."

I think this also has to do with the fact that many of us as kids were told the only way to make it in the world is if we a had a college degree. I remember specifically sitting in class during my 10th grade year listening to some woman, she was a guest speaker not our teacher, telling us the importance of college and how we would be selling ourselves short if we didn't attend. I believed her. Not because she made a convincing argument, but because she was one of many who said the same thing. With that comes the whole "well I finished college like you said to...now where is the cheddar."

Now that I have lived a little, I know this to be total BS. I am not saying that college doesn't help, but I am saying that it isn't always the answer and it is not for everyone. I think it is worse to blow your money on a college degree when you don't know what it is you want to study or achieve. Many people, yours truly included, ended up going for some B.S. liberal arts degree and then getting a non-prof job, or becoming a career student, or whatever just because they still don't know what it is they want to do.

I have met plenty of successful people who didn't go to school and I don't think they are the acception to the rule.

Unknown said...

Sorry I mean "exception to the rule." I always get those two mixed up