Thursday, February 22, 2007

What A Shame.

...when money is the only thing that motivates someone to help people.

Merck "donated" $50,000 to the Governor of Texas before he pushed legislature to vaccinate all 6th grade girls against HPV, which causes cervical cancer. Merck stands to make billions of dollars if legislature like this passes around the country. The conservaties want to stop it because they worry it would turn our young women into a nation of whores and they would no longer be elligible for Heaven. Unlees, of course, they repent.

Since this new information would also seem to throw the legitimacy of the vaccine and the science behind it into doubt, it will probably be enough to nix the vaccination for some time. Sad.

Of coure, it's sad that my only motivation for caring is that I'm rooting for a nation of whores. That should kick in just about the right time for my midlife crisis.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I think you are selling this argument incorrectly. Here is why.
First off, forms of HPV are preventable. In other words, women increase their chances of getting HPV through sexual intercourse. Secondly, costs for such a proceedure are high and thirdly, it is no secret how Conservatives feel about abstinence or being more sexually responsible. Eventhough conservatives jump off into the deep end sometimes with moral issues, it isn't fair to say they are without reason other than preventing young girls from being whores.

Maximum Colossus said...

I don't like the idea of parents basically telling their daughters, "We're not going to vaccinate you against something that could ultimately kill you because we feel you should be practicing abstinence instead." I guess if they die, it's their fault for going against their parents wishes. Well, the Bible does say that's a sin.

BVM said...

I don't know how I feel about these kinds of decisions. I can understand both sides, in the end though, I think the person has to decide. I'm basically against laws to "protect", whether that law enforces the vaccination or stops the vaccination a law still exists and that's usually bad.

And about sin, I feel its something I want to comment on, you may take it or leave it.

The outcome of sin is not punishment for the sin. Many Christians and non get this confused. The outcome is just the possible result of sin. What God says not to do is not meant to condemn, its meant to warn. We are free to choose, but sometimes bad results may come of that choice.

My favorite analogy is that of a parent warning their child not to run into the street. If the child gets hit by a car, the car hitting him/her is not punishment, but a logical possible outcome of the act.

Maximum Colossus said...

I tend to agree that a law tlling someone what to do is not usually the best thing, but the situation greys up a bit when it comes to children. Especially when parents do not allow the proper medical coverage due to their beliefs. Like Christian scientists, for instance. The children are not the ones given the choice.

As for sin, since the common interpretation is that if you sin God will fire a lightning bolt up your ass, I'm going with that. Good point, though. But don't be proud of it or God will shoot a lightning bolt up your ass.

BVM said...

Well, I've sinned 1,000s of times. No lightning bolts yet, so I don't know if that theory holds. :-)

Unknown said...

Come on Baron 1,000s of times?

Maximum Colossus said...

The lightning bolts are figurative. But Hell is not!!! Oh, burn!!! No pun intended.