Thursday, May 24, 2007

John Edwards Is A Witch Doctor

During my quest to expose John Edwards as the Jackass he is, I found a very interesting case he was involved in back in 1985. Go to Wikipedia I have isolated the case down below. I have also highlighted the money quote in fuchsia (at least the closest color I could get to fuchsia) since I am sure it is John Edwards favorite color.

In 1985, Edwards tried a case involving medical malpractice during childbirth,
representing a five-year-old child born with cerebral palsy whose doctor did not
choose to perform an immediate Caesarian delivery when a fetal monitor showed
she was in distress. During the trial, it has been argued that Edwards relied
more on his verbal skills as a trial lawyer than on actual science, as questions
remain about whether or not it was or could be proven scientifically that there
is a direct connection between a delay in delivery and brain damage like
cerebral palsy. While delivering his summary to the jury, Edwards said, "I have
to tell you right now — I didn't plan to talk about this — right now I feel her
[Jennifer], I feel her presence...[Jennifer's] inside me and she's talking to
you."
11] Edwards won a $6.5 million settlement for his client, but five weeks
later, the presiding judge overturned the award as being "excessive" and that it
appeared "to have been given under the influence of passion and prejudice,"
adding that "the evidence was insufficient to support the verdict." He offered
the plaintiffs half of the jury's settlement, but the child's family appealed
the case and settled for $4.25 million.[9] This case established the North
Carolina precedent of physician and hospital liability for failing to determine
if the patient understood risks of a particular procedure

2 comments:

BVM said...

Its quite ironic that my girl's sister-in-law is a labor and delivery nurse who has had both her children at home. She believes in fully natural child birthing. Yet, on the back of her car, she has a Kerry/Edwards bumper sticker.

You'd think that people would do a little research into the people they are promoting. Especially when the guy you are promoting goes pretty much against everything you believe in professionally...

Unknown said...

I wonder what these lawsuits did to the overall hospital fees. Edwards is also a big universal health care guy.