Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Profile away, I don't care.

Early on in Blogust's history, he posted an article about stereotyping. Someone came on and blasted him for his view. What would that person say about this?

Most importantly, this section of the article:

"In January 2006 a retailer alerted FBI officers about a customer who had been asked to copy a video onto a DVD. The footage depicted young men at a firing range who were shooting assault weapons while calling for "jihad" and shouting "Allah Akbar," or "God is Great" in Arabic, prosecutors said in a criminal complaint."

If the retailer decided to be PC, we may have 100s of dead soliders.

When you have limited resources, you have to pick and choose carefully. Profiling is fine with me. If I get pulled aside at an airport (which has happened more than once), I'm happy to go along.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

If you were pulled aside in airport then they are not profiling. That is the problem. It may sound harsh, but paying closer attention to Muslims at airports as opposed to other people seems like a good idea.

BVM said...

Sorry Blogust. I get mistaken for being Arabic all the time.

Unknown said...

It sounds like a good idea, but I don't know if it would be setting a dangerous precedence. Though I think that stereotyping can be a useful tool, I do believe that we can get it wrong and misjudge people. I am torn on this issue.