Tuesday, February 07, 2006

A Letter From Arvin

So my friend Arvin Leoux sent me a letter he had bouncing around in his head and this is how it reads.

You can do something for me...So you know about those cartoons the almost
"unheardof-till-now" Danish newspaper printed that has many Muslims upset?
I've been on the www for a few hours now reading and I would like you to visit
some links. Maybe you can post something on your blog about
it.This morning's paper had a story about a murdered 60-something year old
priest who was shot by an apparent late-teenage-ish man who yelled "Allah akbar"
(God is great) before blasting the guy twice, in the back, while at prayer. It
happened in Turkey where the Christian population is very small. Jann read the
story to me as I cooked eggs. It got me thinking about the cartoons,
specifically the one with Muhammed with a bomb as a turban; when they (Muslims)
act like that, in the name of their god, how else should he be represented? I
know, I know, he's not supposed to be represented at all because they don't want
to worship idols, but if I want to represent Allah in some form I should be able
to because I'm not a follower. Just like the kid who ignored the Judeo-Christian
ethic/rule of "thou shall not kill", incidentally coming directly from one of
the first written documents of the Old Testament brought to us by a Jewish
holy-man, Moses, a thousand years before Islam even exsisted, and shot a priest,
at church, in the back, twice. Right?!?So I started reading articles on various
websites and found a lot of interesting stuff like this one:

Arvins First Link


thought to myself, "Oh, yeah, that's real original, like I've never seen
anti-Jewish cartoons before or heard someone claim the Holocaust is a hoax" And
what the heck is the publication Hamshahri doing anyway? Newspapers are always
printing offensive things and then they apologize and retract the article and
blah blah blah; that's what they do, and if you don't like what the paper says,
you unsubscribe yourself and get the paper that makes fun of the people you want
to see made fun of. With that, on to these sites:

Arvins second link

Arvins third

Four

The first article is pretty good, I'm not sure about the slant of the rest of the site but...The last two are from a site I think is particularly interesting as it attempts to bring together Hinduism and Judaism. Anyway, I wasn't really surprised to find that Muslim papers have been printing their own incredibly offensive cartoons of people and beliefs not in line with their own. The difference is when other people are offended they write a letter and let it be known something isn't right, but when Muslims are offended they throw rocks, take hostages, and blow themselves up at the grocery store. I imagine somewhere in the microfiche archives of Arabic newspapers are cartoons of fat Americans, or a rat-faced President, or filthy infidels infecting the Middle East like a parasitic plague spreading greed, immorality, and capitalism. Segue to this article I found that just made everything laughable:

Last One

Who is
this guy? Isn't it just amazing; he's cashing in on this whole nonsense.Whew.
I'm exhausted...Talk to you later my friend...~A~

1 comment:

BVM said...

Way to go Arvin.

Blogust and I have been discussing people like Arvin. Seems American Jews are classically liberal. But it seems American Liberals are anti-Israel, or at least pro-Palestine.

There seems to be a contradiction here. How can you be a liberal American Jew and follow the pro-Palestinian chants? Seems people like Arvin are seeing this contradiction in their own beliefs too. Nice to see people like Arvin are re-assesing.