Monday, February 13, 2006

Marvel vs. D.C.

One question I have been asking my friends a lot lately is "which movie will do better, X-Men 3 or Superman?" (Yes, I said a lot. So I am a dork...sue me!)
Even though I have enjoyed the X-Men since I was a kid and I loved the movies, I argue that Superman will be the movie that comes out on top. Here is why...Brian Singer. Brian Singer, who directed the first two X-Men, decided to skip out on X-Men 3 and do Superman instead. Why? I don't know, but he did and he took his crew along with him. So instead, Bret Ratner has been the one directing X-Men 3. The same Bret Ratner who brought us Rush Hour, Rush Hour 2, Money Talks, Red Dragon and After the Sunset. Not a very fine resume if you ask me. Being a sports fan, I know how important a good coach and a good crew is and I can't see Bret Ratner beating Brian Singer's proven record, but I will concede to three points.
1. Superman sorta blows
2. X-men doesn't blow
3. Maybe Ratner inherited a good team like Seifert did with the 49ers.
It doesn't stop there for me either. I am also arguing that D.C. will top Marvel as a whole. Batman Begins was a great movie and looks like the Batman comic is going to take on Al-Qaeda. It might sound silly, but I learned this from reading Ace Of Spades website who linked to Geek Soap Box. Here is the link
Ace also went on to say
Meanwhile, over at Marvel, the Punisher is railing against the
industrial-military complex and Bush's phoney war.
Any response?

6 comments:

BVM said...

Fine, whatever. Marvel rules. DC sucks. Superman is the most boring comic book character ever.

The "S" doesn't even stand for "Superman"

Anonymous said...

I'm a long-time Marvel fan, although I enjoyed DC, but I pretty much considered them the also-rans.

And while "Batman Begins" was decent, it was not great. Still, it was better than 'Fantastic Four' which I liked despite its flaws.

But...
1. Bryan Singer (you misspelled his name, I think)....too true.
2. DC is going for serious issues here, instead of moral idiocy, and even a sorta badly cooked hamburger beats out a soy hot dog in my opinion.
3. Even if Baron von Mike is correct, what he states is not a law of nature, but only the past history. Marvel has no Divine Right of Comic Books...if they are going to do pathetically stupid stuff like have Punisher rail at the neocons (unless its from the perspective of 'why aren't you killing more people? Enough with the nicey-nice already, lets cut the scums' throats in their sleep! Death to terrorists!)

See, I remember War Machine way back. Cool character by accident almost with lots of fans, but then Marvel spoiled him by making him a UN soldier whose chief powers weren't all that useful, and turned him into a moral and physical wimp which almost looked like they did it on purpose..eww nasty evil guns. I hear they've improved things, but I only watch movies now, so I couldn't say about the current War Machine.

Unknown said...

ooops I guess I did mispell his name.

Anonymous said...

As a long time DC fan I can honestly say Marvel has much more angst and whining
DC is the universe where Superman disarmed Qurac (A comic universe equiavelent of Iraq) in the early 90's
Marvel is the universe where the Punisher threatens a democratically elected president while ignoring terrorists
DC is John Wayne American; Marvel is french wine sipping metrosexuality (except Captain America...especially Ultimates)

Maximum Colossus said...

Superman has bad villains. A bald millionaire? Weeeee. And I never really read Superman comics, so I'm not sure he ever spun the world around backwards and somehow turned back time like in the original movie, but that certainly leaves a lot for error in the crimefighting department. "Aha, Superman, I've beaten you!" "Well, let's try again." "Fuck."

I like X-men in this match-up, although has anyone else out there seen those shots of Vinnie Jones in his Juggernaut suit? They seriously better CGI that thing up a bit, because as it is Wolverine best be worried less about getting pile-driven than taking a dildo up the ass if he forgets the safe word. It's that bad.

Unknown said...

One guy had a good question. How does Superman cut his hair? I answered the with the obvious...Kryptonite scissors

Then we went further. Toenails...kryptonite clippers. Nosehairs...kryptonite tweezers
And lastly, how does superman corral his tadpoles of steel so that he doesn't blow the back out of an unsuspecting earthling female...you guessed it...kryptonite condoms