Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Why we don't need Socialized medicine

This article makes me happy for many reasons:

Privatized medicine is better

First off, it was published in the SF Chronicle. Wow, how did this get by the editor? Ok, I kid. There are surprisingly more conservative articles in this paper than I expect. Like 3 a year.

Secondly, it praises the merits of Starbucks, Wal-Mart, Target, CVS, Craigs-List, and even fast food chains ("Doc-in-a-box")! Wow, you mean capitalism works?

Thirdly, via privatized medicine people without insurace all get to benefit from the cost saving ability, power, and pure problem solving capability of Capitalism. And its being praised in the SF Chron!!

Forthly, these new "Doc-in-a-box" clinics put pressure on bigger hospitals to lower their costs. Hey, competition makes for a better product and lowers cost.

I could go on but I'll stop here and focus on Socialized medicine. With Socialized medicine you put all the decision making power into the hands of the government. Cost structure, facility locations, facility quality, hours of operation, payment options, specializations, equipment purchases, etc. will all be controlled by the government. That's a lot to consider, and that's just what I can come up with and I'm not even that familiar with the totality of all things to consider when running a medical business.

OK, have any of you ever had to deal with the DMV?? I'm sure you have. Now why, why, why would you want to take something as important as health care and turn it into one of the most painful processes known to man kind: Vehicle Registration. My goodness, the lines, the forms, the limited hours of operation, the pain!

I'll stop right there. Enough said in my opinion. I'm shivering with fear at the thought of Socialized anything, let alone Socialized medicine. "Doc-in-a-box" shops are the brilliant creations that only Capitalism can come up with.

Now... The Achilles heel: Lawyers. A couple of idiotic lawsuits and these great companies get smashed by those leeches looking only to serve themselves. But that topic is for another post that is brewing, and it will cover more than health care costs.

Viva Le Drive Thru Office Visit!

Mike

1 comment:

Unknown said...

land of accountability or land of bureaucracy. For me it is an easy choice.