Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Here We Go.

Someone is offended by Christianity, better ban it. This is from sports columnist Peter King's mailbag column today regarding 49ers head coach Mike Singletary's sideline attire:

"• RELIGION AND FOOTBALL. From Steve, of Hopkinton, Mass.: "Watching the Miami-San Francisco game Sunday, I was surprised to see Mike Singletary's attire. I know sweatshirts are approved (as long as they are made by Reebok) but the huge cross around his neck? I know this is a man expressing his deep beliefs but is this the acceptable standard? What is someone wants to display some other item reflecting his personal beliefs?''

Good question. The league tells me Singletary's personal jewelry is not an issue (he's been wearing the cross throughout his coaching career) and I'd be surprised if they told him to tone it down. I think the only way they'd meddle with religious crosses is if they obscured the logos on the sideline clothing. Don't laugh."

It's not a good question and I'm not laughing. I see what the person is doing here, trying to equate the Cross with a swastika, hangman's noose or other hate symbol in order to justify banning it's appearance on the sideline. Or maybe the person is a vampire. I doubt they'd be so critical of a rainbow.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Indeed.
I don't think he would be critical of a big "O" with hope written underneath it.
I'm curious to see if this gains traction.

BVM said...

This is not a church/state issue. My goodness. This is getting ridiculous.

Its ok to be Jewish/Christian/Muslim/Buddist/Atheist, whatever. What the heck is wrong with people?

MC, you're right. Just asking this question is scary.