Sunday, March 26, 2006

The 51st State

Over the weekend 500,000 people marched through Los Angeles, 50,000 protested through Downtown Denver, 20,000 in Phoenix, between 5,000 and 7,000 in Charlotte, 4,000 in Sacramento and 1,500 in Dallas in what has been the largest demonstration in recent American history. A demonstration, that was in fact, profoundly different than what we Americans have become accustomed to as of late. There were no flag burnings, no grand arrests, no posters of propaganda and of hate, no bile spitting slogans that insulted our Country nor our President and most importantly NO HIPPIES!!! Instead it was a peaceful demonstration of pride, of wrapping oneself in the Flag, of hard work, of being treated fairly and prosperity for future generations. Something I haven't seen in a long time. So what was this demonstration?

Well recently, congress has been making attempts to "make illegal immigration a felony and to build more walls along the border." One wall would be at least 7 miles long between the California/Mexico border. The demonstration was comprised mostly of Mexican-Americans who feel that this is unjust. Give it a Read.
Reports say that demonstrators were draped in the Mexican and the American flag, chanting "Mexico! USA!" as well as "Si se puede," which translates to "Yes, we can." Enough said.

I don't know how I feel about immigration, for I know we are all immigrants. I just wish we could swap the people who seemingly hate this country for the people who actually like living here.

4 comments:

BVM said...

My feelings are torn also. Part of me thinks like this, and I'll just keep it to our friends to the south:

1. I'm in this country legally, therefore I have a social security number and I have to pay state and federal income taxes. Mexicans, who are here illegally, get to work and live here and DON'T pay taxes. This is unfair. There's no other way to look at it.

2. The Mexicans in this country are here to work. If a Mexican is standing on a street corner, he is looking for work. He is NOT panhandling. I very much respect this. I have NEVER come across a day laborer (and there have been quite a few at my house recently, hired by my landlord) who was not cheerful and hard working. To me these people seem like hard working, America loving, decent folk.

So lately I've taken a hard look at this issue, and I've decided to generally follow point #2. I say, if they are that willing to come here and work, let them come. I think our current immigration policy will just serve to send jobs over seas and make America less competitive. We want the hard working people of the world. It only serves to make us better.

But then again.... There's that damned unfairness of taxes that keeps eating at me....

BVM said...

Oh, and Blogust, about your quote:

"I don't know how I feel about immigration, for I know we are all immigrants."

Yes we are all immigrants. I assume you are talking mainly about the Ellis Island type, if not earlier. It seems many people use the older generation of immigrants and draw a parallel to illegal immigrants that all this is about. "There, see, they are just like you, so why do you hate these Mexicans?"

I don't hate Mexicans, and there is a BIG difference between our grandparents and Mexicans crossing the boarder. Its all about legal vs. illegal. Legals pay taxes. Illegals don't. Illegals also tend to take a lot of the money earned here and send it back down south. That's fine, but this country deserves its share first.

What we really need is a bigger door on LEGAL immigration. Welcome them all as long as they are willing to pay taxes. Honestly, give out more green cards and make more people citizens of this fine country. They obviously want to be here.

See?? I just can't let this damned taxation thing go.

Maximum Colossus said...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't we offer to give green cards to all the illegal immigrants living in California some years ago, and most of them declined the invitation? They're not stupid. They know they don't have to pay taxes, and unless we force legal immigration, don't expect the majority of them to be knocking down doors to become citizens. But they will take their driver's licenses, thank you very much.

Unknown said...

I knew saying "We are all immigrants" was going to bite me. It is a way for me to convey that I think most have something in common eventhough we are different.