Thursday, March 23, 2006

The Portland Mercury

One of the weekly papers here in Portland is called The Mercury. It is like the Teen/Indie/Alternative paper or some shit. And this post is more of a question rather than an opinion piece. What I would like to know is, how do these weekly's work? Are they non-profit? I know they get money from advertising, but are they tax exempt? The reason for my curiosity has to do with the picture shown below. It is a coloring contest put on by the paper. Whoever wins this contest gets $200.00 plus their picture will be on the cover of the following edition. If you can't tell what it is about, it is an Easter Bunny pooping out eggs that little Jesus Christs hatch out of. After they are free, they run gayly to the church in the background.
Does this picture bother me? Yes it does...I mean I am not going to burn down embassies or behead people, but these guys and the people who support the paper wont be getting my cheddar. What really bothers me most about this picture is not the blasphemy, I mean I am not that religious and I find South Park to be hilarious, but this artest and this paper have gone to the very ends to be insulting. And I think they succeeded.

4 comments:

Maximum Colossus said...

It makes me want to bomb the Portland Mercury! Bunch effing infidels!

BVM said...

Bunch of pussies. Make a real statment, make fun of a religion that will possibly bomb you for making fun of it. Go ahead, you stand for free speech. Do it. I dare you.

Just more Liberal hatred towards Christianity. They'll group hug the Muslim extremists and mock those that will, at most, write some email or not support their advertisers.

CJ said...

Damn. I found it rather hillarious until I realized no one else liked it and so I changed my mind so I could fit in...

Anonymous said...

Bunnies don't even lay eggs, they're mammals.