Friday, March 24, 2006

Save The Planet. Drive a Hot Rod.

I spend a lot of time on a hot rod bulletin board called The H.A.M.B. Stands for Hokey Ass Message Board. This site is devoted to traditional hot rodding. You don't find many zany environmental arguments on a hot rod board, but this site in particular is much more level and thoughful when it comes to any tech regarding internal combustion. I'm really enjoying this thread and just thought I'd pass it along. It may be a little long, but I think there's some interesting points made regarding HYBRIDS, new cars, and electricity based transportation in general.

Save the World, Drive an Old Car

Mike

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Great post. I don't really care what sort of car a person drives, except when I am looking for parking and some monster is taking up two spaces. Nonetheless, I would never own an old car again, but I do admire those who have the patience and the know how to make a sweet ride.

Unknown said...

P.S. I have a feeling that the environment has nothing to do with why these people are into old cars...it is turning to be a perk.

BVM said...

Of course people who own hot rods don't do it for the environment. But the points made on the HAMB show that there are vaild environmental arguments with hot rods. There are many reasons besides just having a hot rod that make it worth while:

- If you know what you are doing, maintenance costs are much cheaper.
- Insurance is cheaper.
- No smog tests.
- You're preserving American history.
- It is very possible to make hot rods get 30 mpg + on the freeway. It all depends on things like progressive carb linkages, rear end gear ratios, overdrive transmissions, and rear tire diameters. All of which are tuneable with a hot rod. Not as easily with a daily, but hell I guess you can go buy a computer chip...

Unknown said...

Ah Huh Huh...You said "rear end gear ratio"